Friday, February 10, 2017

Jimmy Longacre_subjective realist landscape paintings_FIRST IT'S A DESIGN



WHEN I WANT TO PAINT,  I HAVE TO CHANGE HOW I SEE.  It usually requires a conscious effort  to make the switch from what I call "thing-o-vision" to "art-o-vision".  Our normal mode of seeing, "thing-o-vision", habitually identifies the proliferation of things and details we see as our eyes bounce around from one "thing" to another.  Art-o-vision sees only shapes, values and color in a simple integrated pattern.  If I don't make the switch,  I can only take dictation from the myriad things and details before me, and the fun of painting turns to tedium and disappointment.  Art-o-vison allows me to see the simple beauty, and harmony in the scene.  Then, the fun is in trying to arrange those simple shapes, values and colors into a design that will focus upon and emphasize the beauty I've found.  Everything else plays a subordinate role to enhance my idea.  Now, I'm ready to paint!  But first, before anything else, it's a design.

SUN-STRUCK CYPRESS
©Jimmy Longacre 2017
12X16 oil on canvas panel

Jimmy Longacre
subjective realist landscape paintings


GALLERY LINKS


No comments:

Post a Comment