Monday, March 24, 2014

Jimmy Longacre_subjective realist landscape paintings_SHADY RAVINE




Standing before this scene, I knew I was faced with trying to make sense out of what was a complex tangle of trunks, limbs, branches, twigs and leaves.  I was attracted by the strong diagonal and the rhythm of the trees.  My first step was to design this in a very small, two value 'notan' sketch.  That done, I arranged it into three values and emphasized the large tree trunk.  The actual coloration was very much all over green.  I imposed a color plan contrasting yellow green and magenta, with accent colors of cobalt blue and Alizarin. In all stages, it helps for me to remind myself: Dominance, Contrast, Repetition, Gradation.  A coherent value design arranged with a view to these for design principles will usually yield something fun to play with.

SHADY RAVINE
©Jimmy Longacre 2014
9x12 oil on canvas panel

Jimmy Longacre
subjective realist landscape paintings


GALLERY LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment