Friday, January 10, 2014

Jimmy Longacre_subjective impressionist landscape paintings_ON CYPRESS CREEK




This is from an 8x10 plein air piece, done in the fall.  Most of my plein air paintings are not destined for my galleries.  Occasionally, one is strong enough to make it, but more often they're useful in the sense of studies.  You get things from outdoor work that would never happen in the studio.  Something I often enjoy doing is to go through my old paintings, select one and then evaluate what I think I could do to improve it, now. This is a great excercise for a number of reasons.  After time has passed on an earlier painting, I see it with fresh eyes, making it easier to identify its weaknesses and strengths.  Rather than copying the first version the fun is to approach it anew, re-thinking the design and composition, the notan pattern, the color relationships.  I may edit things out that are distracting, or add something that helps to bring out the focus and intent of the painting.  Also, because I'm continually painting almost daily, my approach has evolved, my taste has improved and the paint handling is usually fresher.  

ON CYPRESS CREEK
©Jimmy Longacre 2014
14x18 oil on canvas panel

Jimmy Longacre
subjective impressionist landscape paintings


GALLERY LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment