Tuesday, July 17, 2018

STEPS ALONG THE WAY



Small color/value studies are one of the steps my paintings go through in process to a finish.  Whether painting outdoors or in the studio, I like to begin with small (business card size) arrangements of light and dark shapes.  Having a simple pattern of light and dark with interesting shape silhouettes is the foundation for exciting me enough to want to do a painting.  Next, I will usually do studies like this one to try out the colors I will use and see how things might go.  I've painted so many flops, simply because I didn't do the preparation necessary to clarify what I wanted to paint.  These steps along the way are, for me, what raises my interest and expectation that I will have fun painting.

SHADY INLET
©Jimmy Longacre 2018
9X12 oil on canvas panel

Jimmy Longacre
subjective realist landscape paintings


GALLERY LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment